Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) combines cognitive behavior therapy strategies with mindfulness attitudes and practices to help participants relate differently to their inner experiences. It is an empirically supported approach to preventing the relapse of chronic depression and it is also proving useful with anxiety. MBCT teachers are mental health professionals who have completed a specific program of training to deliver these healing services. Visit our MBCT Classes page to find out when our next offering is scheduled.
Dr. Ochester offers MBCT classes in Overland Park in the spring and fall. She is a Certified MBCT Teacher though the UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness Mindfulness-Based Professional Training Institute. Dr. Ochester completed intensive and advanced training in MBCT through the UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness, a program of the UC San Diego Center for Integrative Medicine and Department of Psychiatry and received mentoring in the delivery of MBCT by senior faculty from the Centre for Mindfulness Studies in Toronto, Canada.
Randomized clinical trialsof MBCT have shown a 43% prevention in relapse of depression as compared to “treatment as usual” and an efficacy that’s equal to long-term use of antidepressant medication, but with greater quality of life. MBCT is listed in the US Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration‘s National Registry of Evidence-based Programs and Practices (NREPP). The UK National Institute of Clinical Excellence endorsed MBCT as an effective treatment for prevention of relapse of depression and the California Evidence-Based Clearinghouse gives MBCT a Scientific Rating of “1” or “Well-Supported by Research Evidence”. MBCT is correlated with decreased depression, anxiety, rumination, insomnia, and tension as well as increases in mindfulness, compassion, concentration, resilience, and optimism. Participants say it helps them recognize their reactions and respond to them with greater self-compassion and confidence.
Does the training of your mindfulness instructor matter? Studies suggest that higher level of Mindfulness Based Intervention teacher training may be linked to higher wellbeing outcomes, lower perceived stress, and greater course satisfaction.
Here is what participants have said about Dr. Ochester’s MBCT course:
- This course exceeded my expectations as far as the knowledge that I gained. And l was able to apply that knowledge immediately. If you’re looking for the tools to help you feel empowered and move forward then this is the course for you!
- I am better able to stick with difficult emotions and ride them out without getting carried away by them.
- [It] improved my ability to live mindfully in daily life and cultivate “compassionate interest” in myself and others I love.
- The language and terminology used by the instructor helped me relate to things that I didn’t understand on my own.
- Tracy is very compassionate and respectful. It made it easier to trust and open up to new experiences.
- APA Monitor on Psychology March 2015 cover story: Mindfulness Holds Promise for Treating Depression
- MBCT Intervention Summary from the SAMHSA’s National Registry of Evidence Based Programs & Practices
- National Institute for Health & Care Excellence guidance for
- treatment pathways for depressionPsychiatry Issue Brief from the University of Massachusetts Medical School,
- Mindful-Based Cognitive Therapies for Behavior Health DisordersArticles from The Guardian:
- Mindfulness Therapy Can Be As Effective As Antidepressants by D & J Freeman
- How Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy Changed My Life by Julie Myerson
- The Mindful Way Workbook: An 8-Week Program to Free Yourself from Depression & Emotional Distress by Teasdale, Williams, & Segal. Includes an MP3 CD and downloads of guided meditations. Winner (Second Place) of the American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Award, Consumer Health Category.
- Access the guided meditation practices and practical tools for the Mindful Way Workbook online.
- Try these free guided meditation audio recordings from UCLA’s Mindful Awareness Research Center
- UC San Diego Center for Mindfulness Guided Audio Files to Practice Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Guided Meditation MP3s from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health Department of Family Medicine Mindfulness Digital Media Library
- Don’t live near Kansas City? Here is directory of trained MBCT teachers worldwide: https://www.accessmbct.com/
The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal, Jon Kabat-Zinn
The Mindful Way Workbook: An 8-Week Program to Free Yourself from Depression and Emotional Distress by John D. Teasdale PhD, J. Mark G. Williams DPhil, Zindel V. Segal PhD